Sunday, April 16, 2006

Hop YOU, Easter Bunny

Oh, man.

Look:



There is the buddy on Friday. Notice the rosy cheeks, the dull eyes, the hint of dissatisifaction with life in general.

John has RSV. We learned this last night in the emergency room, where I, with the help of my neighbor, rushed him last night after noticing some severely labored breathing.

He'd been feeling punk since about Thursday- fussy, anti-sleep, congested, with a really teeny fever. I treated him with Tylenol and Motrin and TOTAL indulgence. I hate when he's sick. I also took him to his ped's office thinking I'd be proactive this time around because of what happened last time with the bronchiolitis. They sent us home thinking nothing was really wrong, and the snotty receptionist snotted that "of course John was okay," when we left. Bite me, snotty receptionist. The congestion seemed to be worst at bedtime and when he woke up, resolving during the day when he was more upright. Saturday morning at around 3am things seemed to take a turn for the worse, he would absolutely scream after every cough and couldn't sleep at all. I wondered if I had screwed him up by giving him a baby decongestant for the first time, or if there was another damn tooth coming in to add to the misery, or if he just wanted the pleasure of our company.

Saturday was a loooooong day. I couldn't do anything to soothe my son, and that should have been a huge clue for me. He is a baby that really responds to our efforts to make him feel better. I should know that when he doesn't respond, he's trying to tell me that he's really sick.

So we ended up in the ER. It was a long night of sticks, pokes and prods, and I lost it the most diplomatic way I could when they tried for the 3rd time to put a hep block in and couldn't. I said that now I had to be my baby's advocate and they needed to stop trying, immediately. I thought I would feel ridiculous about that incident in the light of day, but I don't. I just wish I would have said it sooner.

He's better today already, giving some smiles and laughs. I think I'll be better in about 100 years or so.

Maybe.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well. That just sucks :( Poor Johnny. And poor mama and papa, too! Kelly, I will be praying for Johnny's quick and complete recovery. Please call me if you need anything.

Signed -

The Real Anonymous

7:59 PM  
Blogger Uncle Mit said...

Poor little guy. As Nan says, "it's terrible when they
can't tell you what's wrong" (and uncle Tim says, "It's not so great when they can tell you everything in the world that's wrong, and it's your fault" When does the little guy go to college?

Seriously, there is nothing harder than a sick child, when he gets better we are going to the park and he can swing as long as he wants.

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home