Monday, May 15, 2006

I Am Here


Yesterday was really nice.

We did morning brunch, we did late afternoon coffee and cake, we did a lot of nothing in between. Specifically, we watched the Cubs lose AGAIN and planted flowers in between. Overall an ideal day, except for the Flubs.

We got home and after the bedtime marathon, I called my mom for our usual evening post-mortem. We chatted for awhile, and then she gave the phone to Paul. "Happy Mother's Day," he said.

"Thank you, we missed you at brunch."

"Thank you for Johnny Joe." (It IS a weird nickname. But I love it. I digress.)

"Your welcome, it was no trouble at all."

"Thank you for all you did to get him here. I really appreciate it."

Over the huge lump that suddenly formed in my throat, I managed to croak, "Thanks, Paul."

We ended our conversation shortly after this exchange, and when I tried to tell T what we had talked about, I ended up snotting all over the couch.

Because it is amazing what this little baby has done. How he makes everything seem new and funny and fantastic. How he makes even the biggest vulnerability bearable, even easy. How he has moved us all, just by being born.

If there is a map of my heart, it is Johnny that tells me I am here. What a great place here has turned out to be.

5 Comments:

Blogger Uncle Mit said...

Amen.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Yesterday while we were gathered around him watching his every move, I looked around at all of us and thought how much he is loved. I've been smiling all day thinking of him imitating Matt's "ha ha ha ha!". He is a blessing.

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post!

Much Love,
Claire

5:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful family you guys make :) Well, done!

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey - remove the comma between well and done please in my above post - brain freeze ;)

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home