Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Then and Now

We've gone from this:

To THIS:

In one week. I can't but wonder if it confuses Johnny. He isn't complaining, and neither am I really- it is some great luck to be able to go for outdoor strolls two days in row during the middle of February. I just think it would be hilarious if he asked me where the heck the mountains went one morning, or why he suddenly has to wear a big-ass coat again.

I don't think I've mentioned the sudden prevalence of "no" or "cookie" in Johnny's vocabulary yet. Well, let me tell you, it is a major talking point in our house. He asks me for a cookie at least 126 times per day, and has a fall on the floor FIT when I suggest some water or milk instead.

"Cookie?"

"Oh, how about a little (insert liquid here) instead?"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" Cry, wail, flail.

Tons 'o fun. Tons. And the way he says cookie makes it really hard to refuse him as it is the dearest, cutest pronounciation of cookie you ever did hear. We haven't had a lot of exposure to either leprechauns or Cookie Monster yet, but somehow he manges to sound like the love child of both while asking for a stinking cookie.

Sometimes, to short-circuit the tantrum I make a big show of agreeing to the cookie, and cutting up some melon or grapes instead. Then I feel like a jerk for confusing him. Ah, motherhood. The guilt that keeps on giving.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

Do you think he's also wondering what in the heck happened to the adoring fan club that was with him all day and half the night? My personal favorite part of the trip was when he held his arms up to me so I could pick him up. It was wonderful! I don't scare him!
He so looks like a little boy instead of a toddler. I just want to give him a hug.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home