Sunday, December 10, 2006

Things That Happen



Man, I really am a grinch.

I usually find that December starts out with the best of intentions: Tree, gifts, the glow of luminaria, falala.

By mid-December, T and I are a bundle of exhausted tension. He works 85 hour weeks instead of his usual 60, and I miss him and immaturely act out. This December is no exception, but we have the added bonus of a sick sister-in-law and a sick grandfather.

Cortney has a blood clot in her leg and several small PE's right now. She feels lousy, and I feel lousy for her. How does an EXTREMELY fit, positive person who regularly chooses to run 26.2 miles in a row for fun deserve this? She doesn't, it sucks. Her doctors think she is going to be okay, and I'm glad. It still sucks.

My gramp had a melanoma removed on Wednesday of last week, and the surgery site became infected by Friday. Well, it's a MRSA infection. SUUUUUUCK. He told my mom today that he thinks this is "the end of him." Never in a long succession of bum-heart incidents has he said anything like that. We're sad. Sad that he's scared, sad that life is finite and so freaking uncertain. We'll be pissed later, especially if Medicare won't let him go home for his 4-week antibiotic therapy. Right now, we're just sad.

Today T and I had a long strategy session. We're going to make it through this stupid fucking month, and we're going to have fun as often as we can. In February, we are going to sit in the desert with our family, play cards, and be glad that my gramp is there with us. He loves the desert. I insist that he'll be there. Never once during that much anticipated vacation are we going to think about how much December fools us into being merry and then pulls the rug RIGHT OUT from under us.

Never even once.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, Kel. You and Gramps and Cortney are all in my prayers.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Uncle Mit said...

Good thing he's harder to kill than a cockroach. And I lost $14 to him in gin yesterday. "We have to play for 2 cents a point, I'm sick". Lets hope he gets to come home for his treatment.....

8:07 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Kel, tears in my eyes. Can I come play cards too? And, BTW, just how sick does he have to get to lose at gin? He took me for $14 today! His arm hurt, so he finally relented and let me keep score, and at one point he leaned over, looked at the scoresheet, and said "@@##**DX&&! You're screwing me around on the score!!" I assured him I DID know how to count, he checked my numbers and concluded that I didn't, in fact, "screw him around on the score". Glad to know the big guy trusts his 2nd oldest kid.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

And PS - That is maybe the cutest picture of Johnny ever. I just want to kiss his cheeks.

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home