Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Things That are Terrifying

Oh, where to start.



  1. My dirty counters. Thanks, Method!
  2. The practice round of cupcakes for a baby shower next week. My mother referred to them as "cyanotic boobies." Nice.
  3. That I PRACTICE cupcakes. Hey, too much free time! Hey, unfulfilled creative impulse! Hey, WEIRD, STEPFORD SELF. Jesus.
  4. Pamphlet for pre-school. Pre-school. Pre-school? I was just pregnant five seconds ago.

T and I went to an orientation for new parents at a local school that offers Pre-3 programs. There is no public school option, so we are going a different route. The teacher seems great, the room looks very fun and safe. It is all fine. Except, he's my BABY. He's a teeny baby that I want home with me forever suddenly. I'm sure that T and the teacher wanted to either hug me or slug me while I kept talking about how I believe in respecting his limits, and how he'll be a young three and did I mention that he's my BABY, MY ONLY BABY.

Truly, it isn't a thing that will even start for seven more months. I just feel so unprepared. I just think that I need to remember how quickly this time when it was just us, just our routine, just our 3 person kingdom has gone. Seven more months.

Slap me if I wish them away.

9 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

The sledding pictures are absolutely hilarious. And I agree with Weez about the cyanotic boobies thing. But boobs would sorta be in keeping with the whole baby thing, so maybe it's good? With yellow frosting instead?
I remember your grandma Mary telling me that Jonathan needed to go to preschool,and at that point I think he was just shy of 2 years old. The idea of it terrified me. But as you can see no lasting harm came of it haha- and he started at 2 1/2.
Even with preschool, you will still have your little world. Hold on to it as long as you can. Those days are some of my best memories.
Which is why my impending grandma-hood is so totally appealing.
Whew! Shut up already Nancy.

8:50 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Don't shut up! Sigh. Jonathan should still be in preschool too. Not having babies of his own! WAAAAHHHH, time marches on. Next thing you know Brendan is going to be winning the Nobel Prize or something. Slow down, world. I seriously am about to become THAT person to Jon and Ruth, warning them about how quickly it goes, and how precious it is, and all the while they'll want to kick me in the head because I'll be sleeping at night and they won't.

But it does, and it is. I can't help it!

Also, Claire? I love you. Thanks for all your comments lately. Smooch.

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon and Ruth don't answer your phone

10:40 AM  
Blogger Lynne said...

Shortly after Brendan was born, I visited a local preschool for Colin. I still had a healthy dose of hormones goin' on and half way through the tour, I realized I was going to start crying. A Lot. I don't know (and didn't know) what part of the "children playing happily" turned on the faucet, but I could not leave fast enough. I think I left the director in mid-sentence and almost ran back to my car. Before I got there, I started Sobbing in the parking lot, drove home and hugged my babies.
And they Were babies and sometimes they still allow me to pretend they still are.
BTW, we'd be happy to practice with those cupcakes. My kids would welcome a mom who made cupcakes Period, never mind practice and then perfect. So I guess Johnny is pretty darned lucky.

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, I must have been too long as a toddler, because I want to eat both of those boobcakes. Yum!

- Claire

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that should have read "nursed too long as a toddler" in my last comment.

- Claire... making more sense now?

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The boobies would be perfect for Mary....

10:22 PM  
Blogger emily said...

omg...if only we lived closer and could practice cupcakes together every week. i think it's the first time i've heard someone else admitting to it!

2:25 PM  
Blogger weez said...

Matt's first day of kindergarten coincided with my first month of nursing school. As Nancy & I put him on the bus I was crying and Nancy was surprised. But we all go through it. And you and Matt had been with babysitters all your lives. Just don't let Johnny be a LATCH KEY KID. Remember that story?? I came home from work and you two flew to the door and said "Mom, we're latch key kids!!" Some story on the news. Boy did we have to go out for milkshakes after that! Remember the nice waitress at Denny's where the three of us ate every payday?

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home