Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Nick to tha Name

I bought the recent issue of People so I could foster my near obsession with the parenting free fall that seems to be Britney Spears' method of choice.

At one point in the interview she discussed what she calls Sean Preston. I think she said "boo-boo" or "poo-poo" or something like that, but she acknowledged that it changed all the time.

I totally relate. Call me country, I guess.

Johnny has had about 2,000 goofy nicknames since being born. Peeg, Meester, Bugga, Bubba, Googly-Goo, Johnny Joe, Johnny Jay, JJ, the list is endless and imperfect. I had a childhood nickname. One that stuck, permanently. My grandmother started to call me Apple Dumpling when I was really little and I guess it must have taken too long to say, because it was eventually shortened to..... ( I can't believe I'm going to put this on the internet) Dumps. Omigod. Dumps. I have to say, I loved it- it never sounded like toilet humor coming from my gram. But, Dumps? Jesus, that is awful coming from anyone else, you know? Still, it was perfect and charming and so me and her.

I've never been able to settle on our signature nickname. So we switch it up a lot and wait for the moniker that will add up to the sum of us.

Here is the handsome little devil, the player to be named later:

6 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

I could hear my mother's voice saying "Well hello, Dumps!" when I read your post. Thanks for that. It was one of those private nicknames (I don't remember anyone but Gram ever calling you that), although the rest of us may have referred to you as Dumps in passing, in a totally good way of course.
The boy is too cute. I hope he is as anxious for our day together as I am. Somehow I bet he's not!

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought it was "Dumps" because you were always "down in the dumps." I guess you learn something everyday.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Easy Mr. Sunshine. Didn't she call you Gus? As in, Gloomy Gus???

11:30 AM  
Blogger Uncle Mit said...

I don't know about Dumps being down in the dumps (sometimes too happy 'look at all those people Gramma! 'yeah, not many of them are 3 year olds' new years eve TV from Times Square 1977 or thereabouts). But Matt was definitely 'Gloomy Gus'.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

NICE. It worked in the context of the story, you big man, you.

Also, Johnny can't wait for the big day with Nan, and Weezy gets in a LOT of trouble when she calls Johnny Sean Preston. Which she does, too often.

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like Peeg the best. And he is excruciatingly cute.

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home