Tuesday, July 11, 2006

A Failure to Communicate

The nice thing about spending the majority of my time with a person who only says a few monosyllabic words is the narrow margin of error. We don't have much chance of misunderstanding each other, or offending each other with our conversations. Good thing, because let me tell you, for the last week or so, I feel that I'm full of the WRONG THINGS TO SAY, UPSETTING AND ANGERING PEOPLE EVERYWHERE.

Irritating!

Oh, but let's talk about Johnny who is becoming more communicative and expressive every day. He greets us with a casual "hi!" when we walk into his room in the morning or after naps now. He also uses "uh-oh" somewhat appropriately- (I've tried to explain to him that it isn't really an "uh-oh" if you fling the item across the room on purpose, but he remains skeptical). There are hints of "mama" and "dada" but I don't really believe he knows what those words mean yet. We have this game we play to try and distract him from the PAIN AND AGONY that is a diaper change in our house- I point to myself and say "mama" and then poke him in the belly and say "JOHNNY!" He loves it, and I've noticed that lately, he'll preemptively cover his belly and laugh, waiting for what he knows is coming. It makes me a little melty, to observe each revelation. I shouldn't smugly wonder if he's a genius, but I confess to doing just that.

He's pulling himself up, trying to sofa surf all over the house. He's got six teeth, he REFUSES to hold his own bottle or drink from a cup, he writhes and whines if someone has the NERVE to try and hold him for even a little bit, when he knows he could instead be crusing around, checking things out for himself. He sings when he hears music, an off-key "ha-HAhahahahaHAAAA," he waves to himself with his teeny fingers and laughs, "hihihihihi," he'll say.

I took him to the pool for the first time last week, and after some minor crabbing while adjusting the temperature of the water, he decided he really loved it. He sat in that zero-depth water, YELLING and shaking his baby fists at all the kids trying to tell them to behave, or have more fun, or stop splashing or SOMETHING. He was the only life guard there wearing a swim diaper, I told everyone later.

I don't want to forget any minute of this. Well, maybe the poopy diapers, but that's it, I swear.


4 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

Hi! Just found your blog through Kristin at Tallnlucky. Your son is darling with those big brown eyes. Glad I stopped by, I will be back :)

3:54 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

He DOES say "Mama" and "Dada" and knows EXACTLY who he's talking about when he says it. Genius?? Undoubtedly.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

So did I sound like a totally overbearing great-aunt, or what? But he IS, I swear.

6:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, just a random diaper change suggestion. We put a big mirror at kid level hung on the wall by the changing table. The girls are so busy watching themselves and others in the mirror they'll lay there forever!

Wow, Johnny is a CUTIE!!!

-Claire

11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home