Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Wednesday

Poor Johnny.

He decided to celebrate the birth of Sean's baby brother by getting five shots. FIVE SHOTS.

We found out a while back that we had maxed out Johnny's well care benefits prior to the completion of his first year of well... care. He had a set of vaccinations to go, and two more visits scheduled before the calendar re-set of his benefits. I didn't think it was a huge deal, as there will be fewer and fewer well care visits as he gets older. We'll never be in a position like this again with Johnny. Unless the modern world collapses and we all have to move to the forest, that is. Then he'll be vaccinated with kindling and tree sap. Our awesome pediatrician told us that Johnny could receive the last set of his one-year vaccinations at the County Clinic as a way to defray costs.

I don't know if it was because we had been waiting so long by the time we got in the room or what, but I guess I lost my sense totally. Otherwise, I don't think my son would have ended up getting FIVE SEPARATE, HORRIBLE STICKS in one day. While I held him. Oh, god. I didn't feel comfortable asking for two nurses at the same time, so Johnny could get half the sticks. I didn't feel comfortable asking why the HELL they had to use his arm for the last vaccination. His baby arm. I didn't feel comfortable asking why we had to do all of this now, as opposed to following the schedule. (Johnny was given everything he needed through the age of two yesterday) and now? Now I don't feel comfortable displaying my suburban, naive, sheltered sensibility any more. We are lucky to have the care we have had since the birth of John. We are lucky that normally I feel TOTALLY comfortable harassing the medical staff that have given him that care.

He's mostly okay today. He slept all night, and he's trying so hard to be a happy guy, but his arm hurts- hence the crying every time he puts a little weight on it. Poor buddy.



"Okay mommy, that's enough whining about your premium baby receiving what you consider to be less-than-premium care. Clean the keyboard instead, huh?"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww. That's for you, Kel, not Johnny! It is painful watching our children suffer, even for a good cause and for such a short time. The upside - you don't have to go through this again until Johnny is old enough to bribe/reward with lollipops ;)

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey...Johnny doesn't even know what we're commenting about, its Kelly who's walking around feeling bad... But hey - here's an awww for you big daddy.

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home